Friday, January 25, 2013

How to Catequesize your stories

Hi people, after the video of Max showing the awesome editor he is creating, I'm going to continue talking about me... so what have we got after all my egocentric posts?

Chico: Well, we got Japanese weird terror, Spanish history influence... Jesus on a cloud and a giant chorizo attack.




Ok, thanks Chico, a curious mix of influences. I'm going to talk about how I create the stories. It depends very much of what the goal is. When I have total freedom and time, I don't sit in front a white paper and write until the story is finish. No, that would be the hell for me. I'm a visual author, so normally, when I think of a story, images appear in my mind. This is curious, because I talk with scriptwriters, who told me they don't see images but hear dialogues of the characters. When I have to create a story I try to describe this particular images I see.

Chico: But, in this case you do music videos. I mean, a story is not a sequence of consecutive images, you have characters, plot points, climax....

Sure, dear Chico, this is the hard part : making something that really works like story and not a sequence of nonsense. And I have a weird technique. First of all the images I see in my mind are the base, the core, so, I don't adapt this images to a good story, I adapt the story to this images. 



I put an easy bad example: 
- I imagine the hero frightened by a masked killer, escaping for building corridors.
- I imagine the hero with a mask, dancing with the masked killer in a big hall.

These images give me a true feeling of what I really want to the story, so I ask myself: "Why is the hero actually dancing with the killer?" or "Is the killer really the bad guy?" ... So, I analyse the images and try to put it on a big story scheme that really works, this way I keep the original feeling.

Chico: I see a tricky business finding the correct path to join the images.

Sometimes I spend several months to build a whole story, sometimes you don't have the missing piece and find it watching a movie or playing a game. 

Sh*t, again a long and boring post with no information, for the next I will talk about the Catequesis scheme... or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment